Monday, March 12, 2012

Third World Occurances


Common occurances in Paraguay:
Singing and dancing in my house by myself at 1 am.
Kids coming to my house to ask to drink my cold water
Kids coming to my house at night for no real reason except be away from their own houses
Eating my own food creations that are borderline unappetizing
Eating my own food creations out of need for sustenance as opposed to taste
Wiping ants off me every 20 minutes or so
Ants biting be every 20 minutes or so
Losing power
Running out of food
Waking up to roosters or wild parrots
Stepping in ant hills and cursing
Thinking spending more than 10 dollars a day is a lot

House chores:
Burning my used toilet paper
Making ice in Tupperware
Waiting 10 min for my toilet tank to refill with water
Sweeping layer of dead ants and other dead bugs, every morning
Emptying my organic compost scrapes on a in a pile outside
Emptying my inorganic trash in a hole outside

2 comments:

  1. So what I'd like to know is how your daily (and overall) experiences in Paraguay have change how you view or think about your life back in the States. How does it make you feel when you get on Facebook and see your friends complaining about trivial things like gaming, money woes or shopping (saw your status). I know you've adopted Reddit's whole "first world problems" joke, but I'm sure you're feeling something deeper than that. Do you think this will change your perspectives when you come home? And for how long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to ask you the same. A few days ago when I was reading your post, I told you about how my parents lived in similar conditions back in Laos/Thailand. I'm going to assume from my knowledge of their conditions and yours, that they had it worse off. With the exception of food - that they grew and had to travel miles every day to tend, water, etc. And with the exception of having family members present. But then again, in order to live in certain areas, they had to grow their own food and take necessary and absurd measures to survive. So I guess things are different since they were actually living there and you're coming home in a year or so.

    But regardless, you've been in the PC for a decent amount of time now, how has your experience altered your perspective? I assume it must be a huge contrast. Right now, do you think you have it worse than the residents there? You have COLD water, internet, electricity, a toilet. How would your current lifestyle change right now if you had to travel for water, no more internet, electricity and bathroom. With your knew knowledge about living in harsh conditions, do you think you can take the necessary measures to survive there?

    ReplyDelete