Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Just another day...

First of all let me tell you how frustrating it is not to have a camera and want to take pictures of everything to post. I will surely get one soon.

Anyway, I had my youth business group meeting today. As I suspected neither of the 2 members came. But at least one had a good excuse that his mom fell and injured herself so he had to take care of her. On the bright side it seems i have recruited 3 new female members who i am hoping and seem far more efficient and responsible than the guys. Why is that? It's the same deal with tried and true lending practices. In micro-loan programs women are far more likely to succeed and return money borrowed than men. More proof that men suck.

Women in Uganda using micro loans

 We were supposed to make the food today but we did not really have the ingredients to do so since group members are supposed to bring them to the meeting in the morning, cook and sell the product in the afternoon. You know how you you know females are better? The girls even suggested that they cook and sell the food themselves when I told them I would not be available tomorrow. That's amazing! When I try to get other groups to meet without me they often say they will but never follow through. We will see about this group.

After discussing all of this we took some time to Terrere and then i got involved in a water balloon and bucket fight that was awesome because it is still soooooooooooooooo F*&%*$&^ hot out here.

Ok maybe not quite like this.



More like this.



The playtime was followed by some good old fashion farm work. Today many families harvested their corn from the fields. As a suburban dweller back in the states I don't ever see this type of work and it was cool to watch the young men I know and hang out with working hard with the older men gathering the corn and driving the ox cart full back to the house to unload. Everyone is obviously exhausted and sweaty but still chatting with vigor and smiles. After Terrering for a bit they all sit down and throw aside their wide brim hats for lunch, their long pants and long sleeve shirts dirty and soaked through. It is a hard life out here.

Which brings me to my work. I sat down in the shade and de-husked corn for an hour. Definitely not as hard other jobs but necessary and time consuming still.

Ill try to put up a pick of this work if I can.

Alright thats it for now.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, sorry that things aren't working out. But I'm glad that you have new recruits!!! :) Did the girls ever end up cooking?

    And as a kid - we used to have this huge field of corn that we grew at home - I always signed up to de-husk them instead of picking them lols. I like all the little strands and shit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, I dehusk on occasion. It is a much better job then gathering from the field.

    ReplyDelete