Sunday, August 19, 2012

Awesome Paraguayan Youth Experiences

So today I thought I might tell you guys a couple funny stories about Paraguayans youths in my house.

1. Washing Hair.
It was probably some random Friday night with nothing to do in my rural site as usual. 2 of the youths I know pretty well about 16 or 17 came to my house to you know, hang around and do nothing(most popular pass time). I was probably studying GRE or doing something random on my computer or cooking.... you know the things I usually spend my days doing. 

Options for passing my time:
1. Working out/ dance (yes dancing by myself is quite common and actually pretty fun)
2. Cooking (a dice roll on deliciousness and prison food)
3. Cleaning (always more dust and bugs)
4. GRE (getting owned in math)
5. Reading (Mostly spy and crime stuff)
6. Watching old movies (Asian movies are officially the best)
7. Blogging (talking about my really super exciting life)
8. Gardening (watching leaf cutter ants systematically kill all my plants)


Anyway, they ask if they can use my bathroom. You;d think this would mean using the toilet but in my house it almost always means using my sink and mirror. Mirrors are not common in my community and the chance to mess around with hair style is apparently a worthy pass time. So while I'm sitting in my kitchen and all i hear is the sink water running and giggling for 20 minutes or more. When I go to see what the hell is going on I realize that both the kid's hair is wet and the overwhelming scent of head and shoulders.

So it seems that using the bathroom sometimes means washing your hair in the sink with my shampoo.

Nice.


This is so much fun!!!!

2. Saying Hello to Richard

So as I told you before, people don't knock on your door to make their presence known in rural Paraguay. Instead they clap. Its a cool little different cultural thing. Noting this, one would expect that youths visiting my house would knock or at least clap when they want my attention. Instead they sometimes do this thing where they creep up to my front door and kind of wait there. Or better yet they creep up to my front door and when I think I hear something and open my door they hide and jump out right when I'm thinking that I was just hearing things. Its frickin scary as #$%^.

Which makes me feel like this....

And want to do this....

3. Standing Around
I think I commented on this before but one of the weirdest experiences I have had here is this one young dude who likes to just hang out in my house by himself usually watching me do whatever I am doing including watching me study GRE for an hour or so.... Don't really know what to think about it. I used to think he was doing it so he could eventually ask me for something but many times he doesn't ask me for anything. It's kinda funny.

I'm thinking of buying him a shirt...
Lol.




No comments:

Post a Comment