Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Meeting my friend Brad... How I Met Your Mother Style

HIMYM -Brad

Kids, we always meet people who we know we will forget, the man on the street or the woman sitting next to you on the subway and normally, your Uncle Brad would have been one of those guys. But the universe has a funny way of doing things.
You see in the Spring of 2011 I was a brand new Peace Corps Volunteer serving in Paraguay and soon to embark on a journey that would change my life forever. That day I was in the Peace Corps headquarters finishing the last paperwork before heading yo my rural site in the Department of Misiones where I would live for 2 whole years and where I hoped to make a lasting impact on people's lives. Our training group had just finished lunch when he walked up.
“What? Everyone got Lomita Arabe? Aw man. How come nobody told me?” He was wearing an Abercrombie sweatshirt and clearly from the South.
“Sorry man, you wern't here when we ordered and it was kinda our G's idea anyway.” I said.
“It's okay, no worries, I actually just got in. Brad by the way.” We shook hands.
“RiSo, nice to meet you. Hey, you're my VAC President aren't you?” Too clarify, the VAC was the Peace Corps version of student government.
“So you're in Misiones too? You're lucky. Our VAC is awesome!”
To be honest, when I first saw Brad's photo days before on our Misiones volunteer sheet I thought he would be an awkward square, someone you said hi to and smiled politely at. His picture was pretty nerdy but, I was in Paraguay and didn't have many friends and so Brad and I bought Lomita Arabe, yes I ate twice, and chatted about his Peace Corps experience. After lunch we went our seperate ways.
“Hey I got to go dude but catch you later.”
“ For sure RiSo.”
As you know, Brad and I would become best of friends. Without Brad there would have been no Waldorf bathroom story, no water tower story, no face punch story and I may never gotten together with Natasha. But those are other stories. Brad would go on to become the successful venture capitalist you know today but back then he was just Brad, from South Carolina, who needed a 730 on his GMAT. Brad who shared my passion for bro-dom, drinking games and random internet meems. Brad who bro-ed out with me and ate sandwiches on the top of Machu Pichu. Brad who after I suggested we go to a bar after his GMAT said it would be legend... wait for it... dary. I said legend, he said dary.
During our time in Paraguay, Brad would prove de-brotion and bra-someness. When I met Natasha, he encouraged me to approach one of the hottest girls in Peace Corps Paraguay. During my first night with her, he purposely ducked out so that Natasha and I could walk home alone together. He continued to watch Jersey Shore as if nothing was happening while Natasha and I made out behind him. Sorry Brad. For my part, I supported him 110% as he tackled the GMAT and continued to support him even after he went on, and on, and on about his GMAT. Its just what bros do. And guys Brad didn't get the 730 he wanted. He got a 750, which is what allowed him to come to Stanford and the rest is well I don't have to tell you that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment